hanne

Hanne, reading on Cloud 9

Avid book reader. Lover of fantasy, contemporary fiction, short stories and non-fiction. This blog is a work in progress - and it will likely always be that way.

Challenge Day 7 - A book that makes you laugh

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) - Douglas Adams Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie

I don't actually read that many humorous books. I prefer mine with drama - but occassionally there is one, sometimes unintended, that i find funny.

The runner-up today is Best Served Cold, by Joe Abercrombie. His dialogues are witty and often filled with black, sarcastic humour that it brings out my nicest Colgate smile.

But it's not the winner. The winner is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. When i think about the depressed robot Marvin, I always have to laugh. And just looking up some quotes, I'm laughing again.

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

“Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.”

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”