hanne

Hanne, reading on Cloud 9

Avid book reader. Lover of fantasy, contemporary fiction, short stories and non-fiction. This blog is a work in progress - and it will likely always be that way.

Challenge Day 13 - Favourite writer

The Love Object: Selected Stories of Edna O'Brien - Edna O'Brien Too Much Happiness - Alice Munro Mad Hope - Heather Birrell Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie Kingkiller Chronicle: The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss Love in the Time of Cholera - Edith Grossman, Gabriel García Márquez

I'm ridiculously behind here! (I'm sure that means I lost the challenge, but I'll continue anyway). This though is the question I dread the most. Whenever people discover you love reading they ask you about your favourite author, or favourite book.

As if it's humanly possible to pick one!

I cannot, I simply cannot. I have a dozen or so, and depending on my mood or what book I just read that might change. Some of them become a favourite author after one book, though I know that some people think you have to read the entire oeuvre before you can consider them favourite.

So i'm not answering this question as it is, and I will just talk about some fabulous writers.

When it comes to short stories, Alice Munro (duh!) and Edna O'Brien are still the people who have the ability to mesmerize me as of the first sentence. I still have a huge tbr-pile for both though. I also enjoyed stories by Heather Birrell or Karen Russell.

Contemporary fiction in general. All time favourites are Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Milan Kundera, though it's been a while since i (re)read their books.

In the world of fantasy, I adore Joe Abercrombie, I still have large weakness for David Eddings and I have tremendous respect for Robin Hobb. But the book I'm currently treasuring the most is my next Patrick Rothfuss - which i keep postponing, just like you might wait to finish that last piece of pie.