hanne

Hanne, reading on Cloud 9

Avid book reader. Lover of fantasy, contemporary fiction, short stories and non-fiction. This blog is a work in progress - and it will likely always be that way.

Review: Allegiant

Allegiant  - Veronica Roth

And just like that a promising series ends with a … pooofff.
To give her some credit: I actually liked the general theme that our genetic make-up doesn’t make us any better than others. It’s a nice message to give to our young adults in a world where things like skin colour are still playing a role, when it really really shouldn’t.

But the delivery? It leaves a lot to answer for.
First of all, how a sixteen year old is so clear-headedly dealing with all of this is beyond me. Even a highly trained, ever so slightly messed-up CIA agent like my dear Carrie Mathisson (Homeland y’all?) wouldn’t be able to deal with it this quickly. The whole things moves with the speed of light against a brick wall – it’s all utterly unbelievable, and leaves a pretty big mess behind.

The changing point of views is enormously confusing: she swaps between Tris and Four talking in first person, but both actually sound exactly the same. Must be weird, being a relationship with someone who thinks and observes the same way as you do. I get that she needed two characters to tell this story, but Tris and clone-Tris-aka-Four don’t really work here.

Then: holes in the plot. Big ones (and I won't even start about why there was a closed-off city in the first place, which is probably the biggest and most questionable hole. Which reminds me, does Veronica Roth know how genetics work? Little hint: inbreeding usually doesn't improve matters).
So how do you avoid people doing bad things to your people? Easy, just do the same thing to them. Very ethical, and really, it’s all properly done – let’s cheer for our brilliant group of world changers. Get a little stuck with your overall plot lines? Easy, just grab something from the dystopian deus-ex-machine destruction tool box! Sounds unrealistic? Who cares – she’s the evil villain anyway. Oh wait, let’s soften our evil villain a bit with some fairy dust. And, *pom pom pom* - how will we end this book? Let’s do something fluffy, really fluffy.

I don’t know what happened here. Was the book pushed forward too much, to make sure the hype wouldn’t go down before it was out? Didn’t they care anymore because whatever they did it was going to sell? Did she just write herself in a corner? I’m not sure, I’m way too frustrated to even think about this properly and write it all down.