hanne

Hanne, reading on Cloud 9

Avid book reader. Lover of fantasy, contemporary fiction, short stories and non-fiction. This blog is a work in progress - and it will likely always be that way.

Review: How to deliver a TED talk

How to Deliver a TED Talk: Secrets of the World's Most Inspiring Presentations, revised and expanded new edition, with a foreword by Richard St. John and an afterword by Simon Sinek - Jeremey Donovan

To be honest, I just really misunderstood: when I saw this book I thought it was about advanced public speaking in general, using TED talks as best in class examples of inspiring talks. Turns out it really is about how to deliver a TED talk, full stop.
And I shouldn’t be surprised: it says exactly that in the title – I just didn’t take the title that literal.

The book is divided in 4 parts: Content, Delivery, Design and the last part is about what happens after your talk. Unless you really are scheduled to appear on TED or you have never done a presentation in your life, the last few parts aren't all that useful. It tells you what quality of pictures to use, whether or not you’d need a lectern, how to clip your microphone… it even has a tip on ‘arriving early’.

The Content chapter is the best part of the book, because there you do get some tips that can be used in general public speaking. Most of them are relatively basic, but I thought the part on structuring talks was really good. For me, the most useful element of the book was seeing the backbone examples of other people’s talks. They give you a good insight in general structure, and can force you to think about your speech in a focused way.

I think this book can be interesting for people with very little public speaking experience. But for those of us with basic knowledge under the belt, it doesn't cover a lot of new ground.

Oh, one more thing: This book really should come with a warning label that you will spend way too much time browsing through ted talks on internet though!

Disclaimer: This book has been provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.